Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Here's something fun for the three days before we leave!

I've totally fucked up my knee. Actually, it's not my knee, it only feels like it's my knee. It's actually severe tendonitis of my hamstring muscle. And I don't know how I did it. And it's the kind of thing that may take as much as 6 months to be better.

And did I mention it's been a problem for an entire month and I've ignored it utterly? Because my assumption is just that I was out of shape and I would go to the doctor and he'd say, you need more exercise. Which I fucking hate hearing. And also I'm getting a lot what with moving and all. And now we won't have a car for a year so that will be a lot too. And I thought maybe it would just get better. But actually it got a whole lot worse.

A little medical information is a very dangerous thing as it turns out. Because I would never have actually gone to the doctor at all for this unless I had not become irrationally convinced yesterday that the piercing pain in the back of my knee was a blood clot and that I could not get on the plane to Spain with a blood clot in my leg without seeing a doctor first (note how it wasn't that I would not be going to Spain, but that I would not be going without first consulting with a doctor about how I could go with a blood clot, because clearly I am insane).

So while waiting in line at the main post office to mail various boxes to Spain (one including popcorn and maple syrup and another including the popcorn popper for the popcorn) at exorbitant prices, I called the doctor's office. My doctor was on vacation, but could I get there by 4? I could see someone else. Sure (because I probably had a blood clot) because I thought maybe I had tendonitis and wanted to be sure it was nothing (a blood clot!) before we left.

Guess what? It wasn't a blood clot (which you knew early on) but this tendonitis thing (which I actually had also self diagnosed but it wasn't in my knee. And by the way I'd need a few months of physical therapy. Well, that was going to be a problem, I mentioned, because we're moving to Spain soon. Oh, how soon? Friday.

That's soon.

Yeah.

So I got a prescription and called Ricardo who called some PTs in town and got one who could take me. Can I be there in 15 minutes?

Uh huh.

I guess it's good I'm a quick study because I'm getting two sessions before I leave for Spain and will be doing the rest on my own. And no stairs. And lots of heat. And naproxen sodium. And stretches. And then ice.

Good times!

No comments: