Monday, October 25, 2010

here are things you cannot buy in the grocery stores in spain

I am finding that it is a little difficult to cook things I am used to cooking while here because there are certain things one cannot buy here that I am used to using and/or cooking with regularly. These are:

  • bread crumbs
  • cheddar cheese
  • salsa
  • cilantro
  • fresh mozzarella
  • salad dressing
  • cake mix
  • marshmallows (although you can get lots of marshmallow creations, none for your cocoa)


Today the Kid has asked for chicken cutlets (the chicken is the easy part) but with no bread crumbs I have had to improvise by crushing crackers into crumbs. This has been strangely exhausting. Especially with no food processor/blender to do it with, just my bare hands and a wine bottle for a rolling pin (picadillo later in the week hence the wine).

I've had a craving for enchiladas and have had to improvise with the cheese by using a combo of a semi-cured cheese not unlike a queso fresco and a gouda mix. but blocks of cheddar? no way. so I guess we're loading up at home and when we fly through Heathrow after we get the visas. Weird.

3 comments:

Mother Madrigal said...

I'll get patty to bring down a big brick from VT if you want.

Frolic said...

Surely Spanish hot chocolate makes up for the lack of marshmallows.

Are there no "American" stores in Madrid? Maybe not. Paris has one of two.

Zoë said...

the hot chocolate is to die for it is true!